presentation image

Planning for the future

What matters most?

Planning for the future is an important step after a diagnosis. Make sure any wishes about health care, finances, and legal matters are organised in the event you or the person you're caring for is unable to make their own decisions.

Dementia affects people differently. Having a diagnosis doesn't necessarily mean you or the person you care for has lost the capacity to make decisions. However, as the disease progresses, decision-making may become more difficult.

It can be challenging to take the time to organise documents about your wishes when you already have so much to manage with the dementia diagnosis. If you need extra support to start these conversations, talk to your GP or contact one of the dementia-specific helplines listed below.

Visit our page with information about urgent dementia support and other health information lines.

I need support right now.

National Dementia Helpline

Dementia Australia provide a free 24/7 telephone service providing information and advice to people living with dementia, carers, and health and aged care workers. This service also provides emotional support and can connect you to community services and programs.

Dementia Advisory and Support Service

Ozcare provides a free service funded by the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP). It can assist you in navigating the aged care system. They can visit your home or work with you via telephone.

Alzheimer’s Queensland's 24/7 dementia helpline

A free 24/7 telephone helpline staffed by health professionals. Alzheimer’s Queensland also offers respite services, support groups and a dementia secure unit.

24/7 Dementia Behaviour Management Advisory Service

Dementia Support Australia offers 24/7 in-home support for carers when the person living with dementia is experiencing behaviours and psychological changes that are affecting their care.

Legal matters

Start2Talk – A guide to planning ahead

A guide providing information about advanced care planning and why you should plan ahead.

Discussion starters

A link to useful resources offering advice and suggestions for starting a conversation with your family, friends and doctors about what matters most to you in the future.

What to organise before you die

Services Australia has produced a guide on what to organise before you die and what to do when a loved one dies

Advance Care Planning

Advance care planning is about planning for your future care. It involves conversations with your loved ones about you wishes, and documenting to communicate your preferences and what matters most to you. There are several documents in Queensland that can help including Advance Health Directive, Enduring Power of Attorney, and Statement of Choices. Learn the differences between these documents here.

Advance Care Planning does not include wills and funerals. Advance care planning is for when you are alive, and wills and funerals plans are only enacted once you die.

Advance Care Planning Australia

A website outlining step-by-step instructions to help you plan ahead, including advanced planning resources and advisory services. Operates Monday to Friday, 9am–5pm.

Office of Advance Care Planning

My Care, My Choices is a free state-wide program that assists Queenslanders in planning and sharing their healthcare preferences. You can complete the documents and send them to the Office of Advance Care Planning to be uploaded to your Queensland Health electronic hospital record.

What is an advance care directive?

An advance health directive allows you to state your wishes about your future health care. It will only come into effect when and if you become unable to make your own decisions due to a loss of mental capacity. Click here for more information.

Advance Health Directive form

The form used in Queensland to complete your directions about your future health needs.

What is an Enduring Power of Attorney?

An Enduring Power of Attorney is a legal document you prepare so a family member or a friend (you can nominate more than one) can make personal and/or financial decisions on your behalf. Find more information here.

Enduring Power of Attorney fact sheet

A simple fact sheet answering common questions about the Enduring Power of Attorney.

Enduring Power of Attorney guide and forms

Comprehensive guides and forms for completing the Enduring Power of Attorney. It steps you through the questions and provides useful information, practical examples and tips.

What is a Statement of Choices?

A Statement of Choices is a values-based document that allows you to record your personal values and preferences for health care into the future. This statement document will help guide your care in alignment with your wishes but is not legally binding.

Find more information here.

Download Statement of Choices Form A

Form A is for people who can make health decisions for themselves. It’s a good idea to include loved ones and your healthcare team to ensure they understand your wishes.

Download Statement of Choices Form B

Form B is for people who can no longer make healthcare decisions for themselves. It should be completed by the person’s legally appointed substitute decision makers with the person.

How do I make a will?

A will is a legal document with instructions for who you want to inherit your estate, care for your children, and be the executor of your estate when you pass away.

Find more information about wills here.

Making a will with the Public Trustee

Online information and free phone service to support you with will preparation, power of attorney, enduring guardianship, and storage of wills.

Information and referral to a solicitor

Queensland Law Society provide online information and can connect you with a solicitor who can prepare your will for a fee. Solicitors are qualified legal practitioners who can advise you about the options available to you and guide you through the process of making a will. Operates Monday to Friday, 8:30am–5pm.

The law is complex and can be difficult to navigate. This section provides an overview of end-of-life law and lists community legal centres where you can get free help.

Community legal centres

These centres provide free legal advice for your situation either by phone or face-to-face. Centres are located in Brisbane North, Pine River and Moreton Bay.

Legal guardianship applications

A website where you can make applications regarding guardianship, administration, capacity and attorneys.

Financial management

Here are some resources to help you if you need financial advice or assistance with your finances.

Superannuation and dementia

Download this document providing information about accessing superannuation if you're living with dementia.

Memory loss, dementia and your money

Online tips to help you plan ahead to protect you and your money.

Speak to a financial counsellor

A free, confidential and independent financial advice service you can contact if you're in financial distress, to help manage your finances and any debt you may have.

Legal service for elder abuse

Free legal and social work support for older persons experiencing elder abuse, mistreatment, neglect or financial exploitation. Operates Monday to Friday, 9am–4.30pm.

Planning for the future

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia, their diversity, histories and knowledge and their continuing connections to land, waterways and culture. We pay our respect to all Australian Indigenous Peoples and their cultures, and to Elders of past, present and future generations.

We would like to express our gratitude to all the healthy ageing advocates, including people living with dementia, older people, families, carers and health professionals, who contributed to the development of this portal. Thank you for sharing your stories and transferring your knowledge to make this portal purposeful and meaningful to support people in the North Brisbane and Moreton Bay region.